This quick Dutch oven beef stroganoff recipe easy to make with round steak, cream, mushroom, onion, garlic. And it only takes 40 minutes
Beef stroganoff is the ultimate hearty, comforting meal. Strips of tender beef simmer gently in a rich, creamy sauce packed with flavor from mushrooms, paprika, and thyme. This classic Russian dish is perfectly suited for cooking over an open campfire in a versatile Dutch oven.
The thick cast iron Dutch oven conducts heat evenly while trapping moisture. As the beef stroganoff simmers, the enameled pot develops delicious browned bits that add depth to the sauce. The tight-fitting lid locks in aroma and moisture so the meat becomes fall-apart tender.
Cooking beef stroganoff in a Dutch oven infuses extra richness and smoky undertones into this elegant one-pot dish from caramelized beef drippings and campfire smoke. Your next outdoor adventure calls for sharing a pot of this timeless recipe with family and friends.
This hearty Dutch oven beef stroganoff provides high-quality protein, essential vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory benefits, immune-boosting mushrooms, and more.
How to Make Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff
This Russian dish is suitable for any group size. You can cook it for your family dinner, at backyard parties, and campsites. Let’s dive into cooking this delicious meal:
Equipment Needed to Make Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff
Here are the equipment needed to make Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff:
- A large Dutch oven: This is the primary cooking vessel for the dish.
- Stovetop, conventional oven, camp stove, or hot coals: These are the heat sources you can use.
- Large bowl: This is used for mixing ingredients.
- Wooden spoon: This is used for stirring the ingredients.
Essential Ingredients for Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff Recipe
The Essential Ingredients for Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff Recipe are:
- Round Steak: This cut of meat is flavorful and becomes tender when cooked slowly. It is also a healthy choice because it is high in protein and low in fat.
- Sour Cream: It gives the dish a creamy and rich texture. It also has a tangy flavor that pairs well with beef and mushrooms.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: This complements red meat dishes. Mushrooms are a good source of fiber, vitamins C and B6, and minerals such as selenium, copper, and potassium.
- Mushrooms: They add a rich and earthy flavor to the dish. You can use any type of mushroom you like, but baby Bella mushrooms or white button mushrooms are preferred.
- Onions: They add sweetness and depth of flavor. They also help to tenderize the meat. White onions are preferred because they have a milder flavor.
- Garlic: Gives the dish a savory flavor. Garlic is also known for its health benefits, including reducing the risk of heart disease and cancer.
- Beef Broth: This is used to give the dish a depth of flavor and help slightly thicken at the end of cooking.
- Tomato Paste: This is used to give the dish a depth of flavor and help slightly thicken at the end of cooking.
- Butter: This is used for sautéing.
- Cream Cheese: This is used to give it an extra creamy flavor and texture.
- Salt, Pepper, and Worcestershire Sauce: These are used for seasoning.
- Egg Noodles: These are used as the base of the dish.
- Dijon Mustard: This adds a tangy flavor to the dish.
Instructions to Make Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff
Here are the Step-by-Step Instructions to Make Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff:
Step 1: Prepare the Sauce
Combine soup, beef stock, paprika, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. This mixture will serve as the base for your sauce. Set it aside for later use.
Step 2: Prepare the Steak
Cut the steak into thin slices. This will ensure that the steak cooks evenly and absorbs the flavors of the sauce.
Step 3: Shake the Steak
Place the sliced beef steak into a bag and shake it. This will help distribute the seasoning evenly across the steak.
Step 4: Add Oil
Add olive oil to the Dutch oven. The oil will prevent the steak from sticking to the pot and will also aid in browning the steak.
Step 5: Heat the Pot
Use medium-high heat on the stovetop and bring your Dutch oven to a sauteing heat, for about 5 minutes. This will prepare the pot for the cooking process.
Step 6: Brown the Beef
Add the beef to the heated pot and brown all sides for 3 to 5 minutes. Browning the beef will seal in its juices and give it a nice, caramelized flavor.
Step 7: Deglaze the Pot
Deglaze the pot with 1 cup of wine and simmer for 4-5 minutes. This will lift any browned bits from the bottom of the pot, adding more flavor to the dish.
Step 8: Add Beef and Thyme
Add the browned beef back to the pot, sprinkle in the thyme, and cover with the beef broth. The thyme will add a subtle, earthy flavor to the dish.
Step 9: Cook the Beef
Cover the Dutch oven and place it in the oven for 35 minutes or until the beef is soft and tender. This slow cooking process will allow the flavors to meld together.
Step 10: Add Sour Cream
Stir in the sour cream until the sauce is smooth. The sour cream will give the sauce a rich, tangy flavor.
Step 11: Serve
Serve the Beef Stroganoff over cooked egg noodles. The noodles will soak up the delicious sauce, making for a satisfying meal.
Time Needed to Cook Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff
Cooking Dutch oven beef stroganoff requires 2-4 hours of prep time to marinate the beef for maximum flavor. Allow the meat to soak up spices and herbs in the fridge during this stage. Next is browning the beef and mushrooms, taking about 10 minutes. Simmer everything in broth until the beef becomes fork-tender, which takes around 1-1/2 hours.
The full timeline for Dutch oven beef stroganoff is 2-4 hours. Marinating the meat takes 2-4 hours. Browning the ingredients takes roughly 10 minutes. Finally, simmering until the beef is tender requires about 1-1/2 hours. The resting time before serving also adds more time. Plan accordingly when making this classic one-pot meal.
Pro Tips to Make Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff
Following these handy pro tips will guarantee you a rich, mouthwatering Dutch oven beef stroganoff bursting with texture, tender beef, and savory flavor.
Choose The Right Cut of Beef
Look for well-marbled chuck roast or bottom round roast cut into 1-inch strips for the most tender, flavorful beef stroganoff.
Don’t Skimp on the Mushrooms
Opt for hearty mushrooms like cremini, portobello, or wild mushrooms. They add an earthy depth and texture. Slice thickly.
Toast The Noodles
Toasting egg noodles before boiling helps them hold up better in the creamy sauce without getting too soggy.
Sear The Beef Properly
Ensure the Dutch oven is piping hot before searing batches of beef strips. You want a nice brown crust for added flavor.
Cook onions, garlic, mushrooms, thyme, bay leaves, and paprika before adding beef stock and tomato paste to build a flavorful sauce base.
Simmer Low and Slow
Once assembled, cover and simmer the stroganoff gently for 2-3 hours over low coals, stirring occasionally. This allows the flavors to meld.
Just before serving, stir in lemon juice and chopped parsley to add brightness. Salt and pepper to taste.
Use Sour Cream Sparingly
Add just enough sour cream to coat the beef and sauce without breaking or curdling from high heat. Sprinkle extra on individual servings.
Health Benefits of Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- High Protein: Beef is an excellent source of protein that helps build strong muscles, bones, and skin. The tender beef in this dish provides over 30g of protein per serving.
- Iron: Beef contains heme-iron which is more easily absorbed by the body than plant-based iron. Iron carries oxygen through the body, boosts immunity, improves brain function, and fights fatigue and anemia.
- Zinc and Selenium: Beef is high in zinc and selenium minerals that strengthen the immune system, thyroid function, digestive health, and cell protection from free radicals.
- Vitamin B12: Necessary for red blood cell formation, neurological function, and DNA synthesis, vitamin B12 is only found in animal foods like beef. This dish provides over 30% of your daily needs.
- Anti-inflammatory: Studies show beef contains the omega-3 fat ALA and antioxidants that lower inflammation to improve heart health, arthritis, allergies, brain function, and more.
- Mushrooms: The nutrients and compounds in mushrooms have been shown to support immune function and lower cancer risk. They add vitamin D and an earthy, savory flavor.
- Onions & Garlic: Contain anti-cancer, antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial compounds when cooked. They add great flavor and customize the health benefits.
What You Can Serve with Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff
Egg noodles or pasta
Classic starchy sides that are perfect for soaking up tasty beef stroganoff sauce. Butter noodles, pappardelle, or cavatappi are all great options.
Another traditional pairing option. Creamy mashed russet or Yukon gold potatoes complement the texture and richness of the beef.
Roast carrots, Brussels sprouts, broccoli or cauliflower in the oven while the stroganoff simmers.
Beef stroganoff is defined by its mixture of meat and mushrooms. Add even more mushrooms on the side by sautéing or roasting separately.
Onion rolls or crusty bread
Great for dipping in any remaining sauce left on the plate after the meal.
Add something fresh and green to balance out the dish. A crisp lettuce or spinach side salad tossed in a light vinaigrette dressing is ideal.
Fun Ways to Customize Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff
Here are some ways you can customize or experiment with the Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff recipe:
Experiment with Different Meats
While beef is the traditional choice for stroganoff, you can try using different types of meat. For example, you could use chicken for a lighter version, or lamb for a richer flavor.
Try Different Mushrooms
The type of mushroom you use can greatly affect the flavor of your stroganoff. White button mushrooms are commonly used, but for a more intense flavor, you could try cremini (baby bellas) or even wild mushrooms.
Add More Garlic
If you’re a fan of garlic, feel free to add more to your stroganoff. It will give the dish a stronger, more savory flavor.
Use Different Types of Mustard
The recipe calls for Dijon mustard, but you can experiment with other types. Coarse grain or even spicy brown mustard can add a different flavor profile to your stroganoff.
Substitute Sour Cream with Greek Yogurt
If you’re looking for a healthier alternative, you can substitute the sour cream with Greek yogurt. It will still give your stroganoff a creamy texture but with fewer calories and more protein.
Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff is a hearty, comforting dish that’s perfect for any occasion. Its rich flavors and creamy texture make it a favorite among both kids and adults. With the detailed instructions provided, you can easily prepare this dish in your own kitchen.
Remember, cooking is an art, and the Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff recipe is just a canvas. Feel free to experiment with different ingredients and make this dish your own. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply cooking for your family, this Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff recipe is sure to impress.
So, don your apron, heat up that Dutch oven, and let the magic of cooking begin.
FAQs about the Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff recipe
Here are some common frequently asked questions about the Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff recipe:
What cut of beef works best?
Look for chuck roast or bottom round roast and cut it into 1-inch strips. Well-marbled cuts add moisture and flavor.
How long should I cook the stroganoff?
Plan on a total cook time of 2-3 hours over a gentle heat to let the meat become fall-apart tender.
Can I use chicken or vegetable stock instead?
Yes, but beef broth adds a richer flavor. You can also use a mix.
My stroganoff came out bland, what should I adjust?
Don’t be afraid to increase salt, pepper, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, or splash of vinegar.
Do I need to prepare the egg noodles a certain way?
Boil until just shy of al dente, then finish cooking in the stroganoff sauce. Toasting before boiling helps them hold shape better.
Can I substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream?
Yes! Plain Greek yogurt makes a tasty lower-fat substitute. Just don’t boil it. Stir in near the end.
What sides go well with beef stroganoff?
Buttered egg noodles, mashed potatoes, rice pilaf, steamed veggies, salad, crusty bread.
Can I prepare stroganoff fully outdoors from start to finish?
Absolutely. A Dutch oven gives you everything you need over coals.
At Bridge House Tavern, we’re more than a team of food enthusiasts; we’re a culinary journey waiting to be savored. Our five-member crew is on a relentless quest to explore, create, and share the wonders of the gastronomic world.